Have you ever asked someone for the time and more than one person answers with a different answer from the first? Even if the times are a minute or two apart from each other, who’s watch do you believe? And why do they differ so much?
The reason they differ in time is that chances are, they are battery ran watches. The battery run watches are set by the person owning them. Solar atomic watches are controlled by radio. This means they are much more accurate than battery-powered watches.
Solar-powered watches keep the best time across the globe as they are the most accurate. These watches will remain in sync with the US Atomic Clock, which is located in Colorado. Every evening, all solar powered atomic watches will receive a low-frequency radio signal.
Five Best Solar Atomic Watches Product Reviews
1. G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400- The Best Overall
Being able to know the exact time can be a challenge unless you have a great solar atomic watch. G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400 can help you in always knowing the exact time so you are never late. Known as being some of the strongest and most durable watches in the industry, G-Shock Rangeman has been worn by police officers, military, surfers, skiers, campers, hikers, and many more!
The G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400 is our best overall pick because it is feature-rich! We love the digital compass, altimeter, barometer, and thermometer, as well as the time stamp. The best feature by far is the sunrise and sunset date. Other great features include Mb6 atomic timekeeping, auto LED, 5 Daily Alarms (4 one-time and 1 snooze alarm), 1/10-second stopwatch, countdown timer, day/date/month calendar, and buckle closure. As it has a protective crystal mineral dial window, you will find this watch to be scratch resistant.
All of the sensor buttons feature their own tone. I find this is nice as I can be busy doing something else while looking for the right sensor that I want based on the tone I hear. I also appreciate the beauty of the watch. The black resign band looks amazing against the red accents on the dial.
If you love to scuba dive, this watch is water-resistant to 660 feet! There is a mud resistant case and buttons that are well-sealed so no dirt, mud, or debris get into the watch.
All in all, I would highly recommend the G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400 to anyone that is looking for an atomic watch with lots of features. For the price tag of this watch, the features definitely match up with it. While the thermometer may not always read accurately, it is a simple fix to take the watch off and wait a few minutes to tell the correct temperature.
- Requires very little maintenance
- Has a triple sensor with a direct access button
- Consistent updates
- Super easy to read
- Shock resistant
- The thermometer does not always read accurately as it reads your body temperature too
For the most current price, check here.
2.Casio Men's G-Shock GW2310-1 Tough Solar Atomic Sport Watch- The Toughest Solar Atomic Watch
Watches can take a severe beating, especially if you have a job that requires you to lift and throw heavy materials or if you wear one while you are participating in sports or the great outdoors. This is why the Casio Men’s G-Shock GW2310-1 is our toughest solar atomic watch pick.
How can you tell when your watch is hungry? It goes back four seconds. Now while this is just a joke, you will not have to worry about the Casio GW2310-1 doing this. This watch keeps perfect time now matter if you are camping, working in the office, biking, or laying on the beach! You can even wear it in the pool, shower, or in the ocean as it is waterproof.
The thing with this watch that I appreciate so much is that it can stay charged for ten months without exposure to light! Other amazing features include 48-city world time and UTC, countdown timer, full auto-calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099), shock resistant, 200M water resistant, multi-band atomic timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan, China), 12/24 hour formats, and button operation tone on/off.
I also realized during travel how handy this watch is with the world time option. Prior to boarding my plane, I set the button for Germany’s time. Once the plane landed, all I had to do was push the button and presto- my watch was set accordingly to Germany’s.
This solar atomic watch is one that I can recommend for traveling and everyday wear. With many features, the price tag could be much steeper, but is a great value!
- Perfect for working out, camping, hiking, or other everyday activities
- Very durable and super tough
- While the wrist band is not top-notch, for everyday wear it is acceptable
Buy now on Amazon.com.
3.G-Shock Unisex G-Shock Tough Solar- Best Budget Watch
When the going gets rough, it is nice to know that solar atomic watches can be worked into your budget. This is the exact reason as to why the Casio G-Shock Unisex Tough Solar Atomic watch makes our list. Set at a budget price, it is affordable for many that desire a watch that does run on batteries that are powered by solar.
A huge benefit of this watch is it stays charged for approximately 6 months before needing to be recharged again. The solar atomic watch obtains time calibration radio signals. These keep the displayed time correct. This is automatically received up to 6 times per day (up to 5 times per day for China).
I really like how modern-looking this watch is. The resin band is tough and durable and is 200M water-resistant. Another benefit that some may not know about is the unusual hand changeability in which the wearer can move the hands out of the way of the digital window for better viewing.
This watch is an excellent value. I appreciate the price tag and highly recommend this watch to anyone that wants a solar atomic watch at a budget price. Even though it may be harder to read underwater, it would not be a deal-breaker for me as the other features outweigh this.
- Has an illumination feature
- Easy to use with only four buttons
- Solid construction
- Could be harder to read when submerged in water
Check the current price on Amazon.com.
4.Casio G-Shock Unisex Atomic Solar Orange Watch (GWA1100)- Best Colored Watch
If you like standing out, consider the Unisex Atomic Solar Orange Watch by Casio. While boring watches are a dime a dozen, this brightly colored watch will make you the talk of the town!
I love the sapphire crystal for scratch resistance feature. This comes in handy for those of us that are clumsy, such as myself. I happened to trip, falling to the ground on a bed of rocks. While my shins and arms were scratched up, my watch remained intake and unscratched. Those watches that are shock-resistant like this Casio are a blessing to many!
I appreciate this has a battery life of up to 6 months before you need to recharge it. It is easy to recharge, which I find a must for any solar watch purchased. The watch features an accuracy of +/- 15 seconds per month (with no signal calibration). Other popular features include 29 times zones (29 cities + UTC), city code display, daylight saving on/off, Home city/world time swapping), a flyback counter timer with a countdown range of 60 minutes, and Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan, China).
If you like bright colors or like to stand out in life, I highly recommend this watch by Casio. Coming from a well-known brand, this watch is not only durable but will add some color to your life.
- Very durable
- Automatic calendar
- Shock resistant
- There is not a light built-in as some other solar atomic watches have
To see the current price, check here.
5. Casio Men’s G-Shock GWM850-7CR Solar Atomic Watch- Best Lit Watch
Casio watches are ones that are feature-rich. If you are looking for a watch that is shock resistant and self-adjusting performance that is non-stop, look no further.
The Casio Men’s G-Shock GWM850-7CR is on point! If you like water skiing, surfing, doing laps, or just relaxing by the pool, this Casio is a great choice for you. With 20-bar water resistance, it is resistant up to 660 feet.
A friend of mine bought me a watch that has stopped working, but I haven’t told them yet. It’s never the right time. While that may be a joke, you will not have to worry about this Casio stopping. I appreciate the world time- 29 times zones (48 cities + Universal Coordinated Time), city code display, daylight saving on/off, and the hourly time signal. Other features this watch offers include 4 alarms with 1 snooze alarm, a power-saving function, an auto calendar, and 1/100 second stopwatch.
I do recommend this solar atomic watch if you are looking for a watch that lights up. No matter how dark it is, you will find this watch will light up perfectly so you can see the time or anything else you are checking. While the white color has a tendency to fade over time, a regular cleaning with some rubbing alcohol on the band will help to maintain it.
- Affordable price
- The solar function works as soon as you purchase it
- The white color of the watch fades, but if handled carefully, the color will last longer.
To check the current price, check Amazon.com.
The Ultimate Buying Guide to the Best Solar Atomic Watch
Here we have compiled a comprehensive buyer’s guide for the best solar atomic watches. We will go over the features that various solar atomic watches have, things you may wish to consider, as well as frequently asked questions.
Features to Consider
Solar atomic watches come with various features. Here are some that you may consider.
- Shock resistance: This feature is suited for analog watches. With sudden movements, a watch can be damaged. With the help of shock resistance, you do not need to worry about moving as much.
- Time zones: Solar atomic watches cover various cities. It is in your best interest to pick a watch that covers as many cities as it can.
- Battery life: Aim to purchase a watch that has long battery life.
- Accuracy: Look for a watch that is as accurate as possible on the time.
- Display: This feature is important as you want to be sure you can read the watch. Some displays feature larger numbers than others. Pick a watch that has a display that you are comfortable with.
- Functions: There are extra functions that many solar atomic watches come with. These may include a compass, temperature reading, backlight, alarms, stopwatch, and a barometer. Others will include an altimeter to show the altitude of your location. Hikers and campers may find functions, such as a GPS finder, come in handy.
Things to Contemplate
The following are all things that you should think about before purchasing a solar analog atomic watch.
- The brand- This can play a huge role in which watch you will pick for yourself. Individuals that purchase solar-powered analog watches from classic brands, such as Casio, are much more likely to be satisfied than those that purchase a generic or knock-off-brand. The more well known a brand is, the higher the likelihood that quality materials are used.
- The price- Many people want to purchase a watch that is not super expensive. They do not want to pay an arm and a leg for one. However, one should always follow the old adage of you get what you pay for. There are many brands that make solar watches that fit in all budgets. Some are under $100 while others are well above $500. If you are looking at a watch that is $20, you are most likely not going to get a high-quality product.
- The weight- One thing to consider when purchasing any watch is the weight. Your comfort will determine if you like wearing the watch or not. Heavy watches will most likely not be as comfortable as a lighter weight watch.
- The feel- Once you have the watch on, how does it feel? Does it cut into your wrists? Do you like the texture against your skin? Is it comfortable? All of these should be answered in order to fully determine if you like how it feels on your wrist. If the watch is steel but is too large, you can ask a jeweler to cut a section out to fit your wrist properly. Other materials, such as leather, are generally used with some sort of buckle. This can easily be adjusted. Typically, the two types of closures are either a buckle or a clasp.
- The design- Solar-powered atomic watches come in many designs and styles. Some are in standard colors while others are brightly colored. Others are sleek and sophisticated. Many look like an aviator style watch. The style and design you pick are important because it will decide itself when it is appropriate to wear it. An example of this is if you have a business meeting, you most likely would not want to wear a sporty watch. Rather, one that is elegant looking would be a better choice.
- Materials- You should look at what materials your watch is made from. Stainless steel and resin are both popular choices when it comes to these watches because they are both durable. Others are made from nylon or leather. There is not a right or wrong choice when it comes to materials as it is a personal preference.
- Ease of use- Is the watch easy for you to put on yourself? If not, will you always have someone there to assist you in putting it on? If you can not get it on or off by yourself and have no one to help you with either of these tasks, it may be wise to look at a different watch.
- Customer service: Customer service is extremely important when it comes to purchasing anything. A brand is only as good as their customer service is. While researching brands, it is wise to look at brands that customers have been happy with how their issues were resolved.
The Best Solar Atomic Watches FAQ
What is a solar-powered atomic watch?
A solar atomic watch is a radio-controlled watch that searches at least once per day for the 60kHz radio signal in order to decode the correct time.
Are solar atomic watches reliable?
Yes, solar-powered atomic watches are very reliable. In fact, they are more reliable than a watch you have to set yourself. Each day, the watch receives the radio signal to be certain the watch reads the correct time.
Are waterproof and water-resistant watches the same?
Waterproof and water-resistant are two different things. A waterproof watch can be submerged in water completely. Doing so will not result in any malfunction. A water-resistant watch can not be submerged or they will malfunction.
Why should I own a solar analog watch?
Solar-powered analog watches are a great investment. There is barely any maintenance with them. You will never have to set them yourself, nor will you have to pay to have a battery replaced. If you travel frequently, they are a necessity as you do not need to figure out the time difference once you arrive at your destination.
Another reason to own a solar watch is if you are active in water sports, camping, or other nature activities. These watches are perfect for beachwear, scuba diving, swimming laps in a pool, or surfing. If you find a watch with a compass, it could come in handy when you are camping or hiking.
How do you charge a solar atomic watch?
You can charge your solar analog atomic watch by direct sunlight. It will take approximately 20 hours to charge the watch fully. However, if it is a cloudy day, it could take up to 60 hours to fully charge the watch. A fast ten to fifteen-minute charge on a sunny day should provide enough for a 24-hour span.
You will notice that it takes longer to charge in different seasons. In the summer when the sun is out more, the watch will charge faster. In the fall and winter when the sun is not out as much, the solar-powered watch will take longer to charge.
Will a fluorescent light work for charging?
Yes, fluorescent light will work for charging your watch. While this option may take a bit longer, if you have no other choice, it will do.
What are the advantages of wearing a solar-powered atomic watch?
The many advantages to wearing a solar-powered digital atomic watch include:
- Solar atomic watches are very reliable
- They reduce the carbon footprint
- Anyone can wear them
- They are trendy and fashionable
- Some come in sporty designs while others are more sophisticated
- They require very little maintenance
- These watches are the most accurate for timekeeping
- They keep their charge for long periods of time
- Many of them are feature-rich, such as providing an alarm clock or compass
- They come in various price ranges.
Conclusion: Picking the Best Solar Atomic Watch
I hope you have enjoyed reading my top five picks for the best solar atomic watches. It was my intention to help you pick a solar atomic watch that works the best for your price range and the features you desire.
What is your take on Solar Atomic Watches? Do you plan to purchase one and if so, which one do you favor? If you have purchased one already, what model did you purchase? Please do not hesitate to answer below and tell us your experience with your solar-powered atomic watch.